Children’s ideas and energy guide us here at St. Andrew Nature Preschool. We engage children’s natural curiosity and creativity and follow their lead as we shape our curriculum and activities. Our daily rhythm follows a general routine so that children have some structure and predictability to their time at school while also allowing for child-led exploration and play.
Our Daily Rhythm
• Drop Off (15 minutes)
Quiet circle activities or free play while classmates arrive and say good-bye to caretakers.
• Morning Circle (15 minutes)
Story time and conversation, often with a short lesson or learning activity connected to the rest of the day and the students’ current interests.
• Learning Centers & Small Groups (30 minutes)
- Children learn through interest centers designed for specific educational goals. Creative art, science, reading, blocks, manipulatives, and dramatic play offer the students many opportunities to learn through play.
- During Center Time teachers offer small group opportunities for more guidedlearning - maybe bugs or art or pumpkins or snow, or wherever the children's wonderings lead.
- Once each week during indoor time we have a special activity: Music with Mr.Sam, the church Music Director; Preschool Chapel with Pastor Cindy; and Godly Play with Mr. Chris, the church Youth & Family Director.
• Snack & Story (15 minutes)
We provide nutritious snacks including fruit, cheese, and a variety of crackers to refuel half way through our day.
• Outdoor Time (90 minutes)
- Children play, socialize, and explore in nature every day in our wonderful outdoor space. See our Facilities page for more details.
- Weekly during outdoor time classes participate in our Circle of Wonder, a time to intentionally wonder about and engage with nature and the world around us.
(formerly Two & You)
Two & You is a program designed specifically for the child and parent (or caregiver) to
discover and learn together. It is a facilitated discovery time where toddlers learn
through play in a developmentally appropriate environment using a variety of sensory
materials. Introducing new skills, practicing social interactions, and preparing for a
successful transition to independent preschool classes are our priorities. Two & You
classes have one teacher and 6-8 student & caregiver pairs.
For families who need an extended day or a flexible pick up or drop off time, Lunch Bunch is a good option.
Lunch Bunch is a supervised time to eat lunch, socialize, and have some free play between our morning
and afternoon classes. Students are joined by two teachers for lunch (brought from home) and a free play time
in one of our classrooms. On nice days Lunch Bunch can even become a picnic lunch with outdoor play!
Lunch Bunch for morning students runs from after class until 12:20, and for afternoon students from 11:40
to the start of class.